Join us at Hopedale to discuss the first third of Hillbilly Elegy—come prepared to discuss:
- Read the Introduction through Chapter 5 of JD Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy: A memoir of a family and culture in crisis.
- Identify several powerful excerpts that convey some of the main points of Vance’s writing to share with the rest of us.
- If you go online and google “Hillbilly Elegy reading guide”, you will find several sources that provide discussion questions and perspectives. See what insights you gain from responding to these questions.
- The two UUA study action issues that currently frame our social justice work are “Escalating Inequality” and “Corruption of our Democracy.” How does our understanding of these two issues deepen through Vance’s memoir?
- How do you position yourself in relation to the cultures of Middletown, OH and Jackson, KY that Vance describes? What is your experience of the cultures of this region of the country?
- To prepare for July 16, read Chapters 6-10 and continue to reflect on these issues.